New e-learning on Perinatal Post-mortem Consent
Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare has worked with University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust and Keele University to develop a new e-learning resource to support health professionals who are required to discuss perinatal post-mortem consent with bereaved families.
Losing a baby is a most difficult time for parents and it can be challenging for health professionals to support parents adequately at this time of intense grief. Health professionals may find discussing a post-mortem with families particularly difficult.
This e-learning programme aims to improve the knowledge and confidence of health professionals speaking to parents which will enable parents to make a well informed decision.
All content within this e-learning module has been mapped against the learning outcomes stipulated by the HTA and Sands for perinatal post-mortem consent training.
Upon completion of the e-learning package professionals who will be obtaining perinatal post-mortem consent will:
- Understand the law and legal requirements in England and Wales
- Understand the benefits, both present and future, for the bereaved family of having a post-mortem investigation
- Be proficient with the process of taking consent for a hospital post-mortem
- Explain what happens at a post-mortem examination and the options available to parents
- Understand the importance of sensitive communication skills.
For more information about the programme, including access details, visit: https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/perinatal-post-mortem-consent/